Ingredients: For 1,5 litres
- 1,5 litres of warm water
- 5-6 big beetroots
- 1 head of garlic
- 4 bay leaves (optional)
- 10 allspice balls (optional)
- 1 tbsp. of himalayan salt
1. Wash and peel the beetroots and chop them into medium squares.
2. Peel the garlic cloves and crush them using a knife (do not chop them).
3. Put everything into a large pot of your choice and add bay leaves and allspice balls (they make the kvass flavour a lot richer).
4. Add himalayan salt into a warm water and mix until it dissolves.
5. Pour the mixture into the large pot and mix everything together.
If you do it with a different amount make sure the beetroots cover 1/3 of your container and add as much warm water to cover them up.
6. Leave it in the room temperature or by the radiator to ferment for few days and stir everyday (with a wooden/plastic spoon).
After 4 days the kvass should be ready.
Pour out the kvass into the glass jars and store them in the fridge. If it is too strong try to water it down a little.
After you pour out the kvass pour 1,5 litres of warm water again to make another kvass. The taste will be exactly the same but a bit ligher.
You can add some spices like ground ginger or turmeric.
If you see some white/grey spots on the top, just mix the kvass more often.