- 4-5 oranges (peels only)
- 1 cup of sweetener (Maple syrup, xylitol, honey etc.)
- 1 1/4 cup of water
- 3 tbsp. of alcohol (vodka etc.)
- 1/2 lemon (juice only)
1. Thoroughly scrub the oranges' skin. Put the oranges in a bowl with water and vinegar and then in water with baking soda to get rid of the pesticides.
See how to do it step by step. Try to use it for all your not organic fruit and vegetables before you eat them.
2. Peel the oranges (try do to it nicely so you have long peels) and cut them in long stripes or other shapes of you choice.
3. Place the peels into a boiling water for 2-3 min. to blanch them a little and then pour out the water from the saucepan.
4. In the saucepan pour 1 1/4 cup of water, alcohol and sweetener of your choice and mix until everything is melted together.
5. Add orange peels and stir them in the mixture.
6. Cook the peels for around 1-1.5 hour until the syrup dissolves. Make sure to stir it every few minutes so each peel is coved with the syrup.
7. When the syrup almost dissolved add lemon juice and stor
8. Take out the orange peels and place them on the plate or a parchment paper. Make sure they don't touch each other as they would stick together.
When they cool down you can cut them into small cubes and use as a decoration for cakes. You can also melt some dark chocolate and pour it in a bowl with the orange peels and stir until every one of them is covered or you can dip each one seperately.